找回密码
 注册

ADVERTISEMENT

楼主: 谷成

Dr. Bruce Greyson:意识是由大脑产生的吗?

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 19-8-2017 11:16 PM | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 谷成 于 20-8-2017 12:37 AM 编辑

这里和大家分享澳洲哲学家和认知科学家(Australian philosopher and cognitive scientist )大卫查默斯(David  Chalmers)在TED talk中的演讲:

1. Science, by its nature, is objective. Consciousness, by its nature, is subjective. So there can never be a science of consciousness.

科学本质上是客观的。意识本质上是主观的。所以永远不可能有一种意识的科学。

2. I am a scientific materialist at heart, I want a scientific theory of consiousness that works, and for a long time, I banged my head against the wall, looking for a theory of consciousness in purely physical terms that would work, but i eventually come to the conclusion, that that just didn't work for systematic reasons.

我是一个科学的唯物主义者,我想要寻找一个科学的意识理论,而且很长一段时间,为了寻找一种纯粹的物质学上的意识理论,我把头撞到墙上,但是我终于得到这个结论,由于系统性的问题, 这样的思考是不会奏效的。

3. ...what you get from purely reductionist explanations in physical terms, in brain based terms, is stories about the functioning of a system, its structure, its dynamics, the behavior it produces, great for solving the easy problems - how we behave how we function - but when it comes to subjective experience - why does all this feel like something from the inside? that's something fundamentally new, and it's always a further question. So i think we're at a kind of impasse here.

从简化论的角度、从物理的角度、以脑为基础的角度来看,不外是关于系统功能的一种说明,它的结构,它的动力学,它所产生的行为,(这套方法)很好地解决简单的问题 —— 例如我们的行为如何运作 —— 但是当谈到主观经验时 - 为什么所有这些感觉都像出自内在的某种东西?这是一种根本性的新东西,而且是一个更深层的问题。所以我觉得我们在这里陷入僵局。

4. We've got this wonderful, great chain of explanation, we're used to it, where physics explains chemistry, chemistry explains biology, biology explains parts of psychology, but consciousness, doesn't seem to fit into this picture. On the one hand, it's a datum, that we're conscious, on the other hand, we don't know how to accomodate it into our scientific view of the world. So i think consciousness right now is a kind of anomaly, one that we need to integrate into our view of the world, but we don't yet see how?

我们已经有了这些美好的伟大的解释链,我们习惯了用物理学解释化学,用化学解释生物学,用生物学解释心理学的一部分,但意识学似乎并不适合这一套拼图。一方面,我们有意识这象是一个基准,另一方面,我们不知道如何跟我们对世界的科学观接合。现在我认为意识更像是一种异常,一种需要跟我们对世界的看法融合的异常,但是我们还没有找到该如何解决的方法?

5. Faced with an anomaly like this, radical ideas may be needed, and i think that we may need one or two ideas, that initially seem crazy before we can come to grips with consciousness scientifically. Now, there are a few candidates for what those crazy ideas might be ... in the time remaining, I want to explore two crazy ideas that i think may have some promise. The first crazy idea is that concciousness is fundamental. Physicist sometimes take some aspects of the universe as fundamental building blocks: space, time and mass.  They postulate fundamental laws governing them, like the laws of gravity or quantum mechanics. These fundamental properties and laws aren't explained in terms of anything more basic.  Rather, they'are taken as primitive, and you build up the world from there. Now sometimes, the list of fundamentals expands.

面对这样的异常情况,可能需要激进的想法,我认为我们可能需要一两个主意,即使是看起来很疯狂的主意,才能帮助科学去掌握意识。现在,我们有几个候选对象(疯狂的想法)...在剩下的生命里,我想去探索其中两个可能会有进展的疯狂想法。第一个疯狂的想法是,意识是根本的。物理学家有时把宇宙的一些事情视为基本的组成元素:空间,时间和质量。他们从此发展出一些相关联的基本定律,如重力法则或量子力学等等。这些基础属性和定律并无法解释那些更基本的事情。相反的,他们是被假设为原始的(元素),然后你从那里建立起世界。但是有些时候,这些元素的名单会扩展。

6. In the 19th century, Maxwell figured out that you can't explain electromagnetic phenomena in terms of the existing fundamentals - space, time, mass, Newton's laws - so he postulated fundamental laws of electromagnetism, and postulated electric charge as a fundamental element of those laws govern. I think that's the situation we're in with consciousness. If you can't explain consciousness in terms of the existing fundamentals - space, time, mass, charge - then as a matter of logic, you need to expand the list. The natural thing to do is to postulate consciousness itself as something fundamental, a fundamental building block of nature. This doesn't mean you suddenly can't do science with it, this opens up the way for you to do science with it.

在十九世纪,麦克斯韦认为,你不能从现有的基本物理 - 空间、时间、质量,牛顿定律等角度来解释电磁现象 - 所以他假定了电磁学的基本定律,假设电荷才是这些规律的元素。我认为这也是我们对“意识”所碰到的情况。如果您无法根据现有的元素(空间,时间,质量和费用)来解释意识 - 那么就逻辑而言,您需要扩展(元素)名单了。最自然不过的方法就是将“意识”本身定义为一个基本的、基础的建构元件。这并不意味着你就突然不能再用它去做科学,相反的,这为你开辟了道路去继续作科学。

帖主按:

目前越来越多科学家和哲学家已经放弃使用传统物理和科学的方法来探索和解释意识,相反的,他们开始踏上更有创意的方向,例如企图尝试从从宗教的一些哲学(对科学家而言是“疯狂的想法”)来测试解释意识的新理论,包括把意识视为世界的组成元件之一(也就是佛教唯识的理论基础),从这个方向重新出发。

五百年前,当哥白尼提出的日心说来推翻了长期以来居于统治地位的地心说时,他受到了当时的宗教和社会的抗拒,五百年后,我们轻而易举就能明白,为何地心说是那么愚蠢可笑。同样的,现在我们或许正在处于新科学的变革边沿,现在一些科学家已经开始探索唯识,认为意识可能才是这个世界被忽略的组成元件之一。这些颠覆性的新思维方向,自然会受到一些死抱传统科学物理知识的保守份子的抗拒。

其实科学的发展永远由两个部分来组成,一个就是科学的历史(已经被发现和被证明的部分就是历史的部分);另一部分就是科学的未来方向(这部分确实倾向对未知的探索,而探索的事物,自然就是还无法证明的事情)。

有人认为科学只属于被证明的部分,实际这是不对的,这个部分只能说是科学的历史而已。科学的未来,总是受到哲学的内容所启发(例如还在设想中,却还没得到证明的各种想法和理论,或是来自宗教体验而流传下来的宗教哲学内容)。所以在科学的探索中,哲学才是领头的部分,而很多出色的科学家,兼是杰出的哲学家。

所以哲学的意义应该是用来带领科学,而不是沦为帮传统科学背书的工具。哲学的功能正是针对知识的死巷之处,寻找各种突破的思维方向(无论它是对的或是错的),然后让科学家去进行检验和验证。所以去证明应该是科学家的工作,而不是哲学家的本分。除非哲学家自己也是科学家的时候,才会身兼二职。

但是现在的哲学风气是不健康的,对谜题提出哲学想法和理论者,往往被挑战出示证明,这是不对的。这是用科学的标准来硬套在哲学家身上,导致哲学的功能被严重设限了,这样只会谋杀哲学的成长。

评分

参与人数 1人气 +5 收起 理由
boobanzhu + 5 谢谢分享

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

所属分类: 人文空间

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

版权所有 © 1996-2023 Cari Internet Sdn Bhd (483575-W)|IPSERVERONE 提供云主机|广告刊登|关于我们|私隐权|免控|投诉|联络|脸书|佳礼资讯网

GMT+8, 27-4-2024 03:50 AM , Processed in 0.064248 second(s), 24 queries , Gzip On.